On Friday, I had the honor to spend some time with the AmeriCorps members serving in Cleveland non-profits through NEO Skills Corps. The workshop was sharing The Literacy Cooperative of Cleveland’s FREE Contextualized Curriculum, practicing sample activities for teaching adults, and sharing other online resources to better serve our adult learners.
Here are the slides below, though the workshop was much more conversational, with a lively exchange of ideas, questions, and resources.
I promised to follow up with a blog post with links to the free, cool online resources we discussed for future reference:
- Northstar Digital Literacy: all the NEO Skills Corps members are trained as proctors. If any other readers don’t use it yet, you should!
- The Literacy Cooperative of Greater Cleveland
- Register to download FREE Contextualized Curricula
- GCFGlobal.org: Online tutorials from the Goodwill Foundation
- Google Drive: free storage for documents including Microsoft Office or create your own Google Docs, Sheets or Slides
- Apache OpenOffice: free software download that is compatible with other major office software. Also includes templates!
- Little Green Light (LGL): this is not a free software, but it is used by several of the NEO Skills Corps host sites. We discussed their free Knowledge Base, and that many paid software offer free courses, videos or tutorials that could be of use to our students (and ourselves!).
- CODE.org: this free computer science curriculum is celebrating 10 years! Teachers can also find lesson plans, videos, slides and assessments to teach this free curriculum.
- Southeast Cleveland Resource Center: follow on Instagram for updates
That was so much fun, and I know this group is destined for greatness! I am praising God for their motivation, skill and generosity to serve their adult learners, their families, and help make our community a better place.
Oops, almost forgot! Just in case you don’t download the slides, here are the Top Picks for Online Learning:
- PBS: West Virginia STEAM
- Construct Your Future
- Quizlet (this links to digital literacy, but you can search for anything!)
- Khan Academy for Adult Learners
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives (NLVM)
- NEW: NVLM app Matti Math
- Career Preparation at OhioMeansJobs
- Soft Skills to Pay the Bills
- Bridging the Employment Gap: Kitchen Help (from Canada)
- “On the Job” curriculum from Minnesota Literacy Council
- Food Standards Agency on YouTube (for ServSafe Training)